Note that some of the case studies below are based on the Semrush.com google.co.uk ranking database, which doubled to over 12 million key words & phrases in March 2016. The range of rankings recorded also changed from 1-20th to 1-100th at the same time.
In August 2016 I assisted a Hampshire web design agency with optimisation of the main corporate website for a leading global supplier of petro-chemicals, with sales today of over $40 billion. This 4 days work contributed to the following results:
- an increase in the number of phrases the site is ranking for in the top 100 results on google.com of around 50% (from semrush.com data)
This alongside strategic advice has resulted in the number of phrases they are ranking for in the top 100 results on google.co.uk increasing from 577 in Feb 2016 to 744 in Sept 2016 (an increase of around 1/3) according to Semrush data:
This work did not include inbound link building and was 2 days in total.
View the data here:
3. skinnerssheds.co.uk SEO Consultancy
In early 2016 I was asked by Sussex Websites to assist with the re-launch of Skinners Sheds online: their old website (skinners-sheds.com) was going to be redirected to a redesigned site on a new domain (skinnerssheds.co.uk).
This was part of a total of 4 days work (this work is paused at time of writing) including:
1. SEO strategic review inc. review of new site
2. Building Google friendly links to the old & new sites, Youtube content etc
3. Optimisation / revision of all 20 location business listings on the Google Map as these are often integrated into search results e.g. adding county of locations where it was not present. Some locations were listed under the name of the village they were in rather than village / nearest town so this was corrected.
4. Review of Yell listings inc. submission of missing listing
5. Optimisation of Youtube content
The number of phrases the skinners-sheds.com site was ranking for in the top 100 results on google.co.uk in February 2016 according to Semrush was 1,413.
skinnerssheds.co.uk ranked for 2,390 phrases in the top 100 results on google.co.uk in June 2016 - an improvement of around 50% in just 4 months. Semrush ranking data includes Google local map listings.
View the data here:
In terms of search engine visibility an approximate value for the equivalent Adwords cost for visitors coming to skinnerssheds.co.uk organically in Sept 2016, based on the cost of the same number of visitors generated through Adwords according to Semrush is around $14,695 at time of writing (20.10.16). View data here: https://www.semrush.com/info/history/index.html/plot/line/year//skinnerssheds.co.uk/uk/Oc//uk/Oc//uk/Oc//uk/Oc//uk/Oc.
4. www.aviatorbytag.com - equivalent advertising value for SEO visibility
I have worked for TAG Hotels on a freelance basis since 2010, assisting them with SEO, PPC etc.
In terms of search engine visibility an approximate value for the equivalent Adwords cost for visitors coming to aviatorbytag.com organically in June 2016, based on the cost of the same number of visitors generated through Adwords according to Semrush is $26K.
This will include branded traffic (online travel agents are bidding on permutations of the hotel name). Semrush estimates 53% traffic is non-branded.
View the data here:
5. woodland-of-kingston.co.uk SEO ConsultancyMy 4.5 days SEO / PPC work (note: site optimisation has not commenced yet at time of writing for various reasons) on this timber window & door manufacturer & installer (which included SEO strategy / website review, disavowal to Google of low quality links previously built to this site (which may still be affecting rankings at time of writing) and PPC set up & management) resulted in the following thus far:
From a check using the https://adwords.google.com/apt/anon/AdPreview tool with my location set to the UK (as opposed to any specific locality in the UK e.g. Kingston, Surrey) Woodland are at time of writing (11.11.16) ranking 4th 'organically' on google.co.uk for their core key phrase 'box sash windows' (for which exact phrase there's an average of 390 monthly searches in the UK recorded in Google Keyword Planner data ) . The ranking from a semrush .com report for this phrase from July 2016 was 24th (an improvement of 20 places in 4 months).
Note that this does appear to be a spammy sector on Google: see http://www.seolondonsurrey.co.uk/blog/analysis-of-a-spammy-search-engine-result-page-on-google-uk-2016 (probably should not be a surprise!).
6. Londoncallingarts.com & Culturecalling.co.uk SEO Consultancy
Here are the results of my 8 days work (4 days on each - this included PPC set up / enhancement and the first day for each was a site / strategy review) in total for these arts marketing agency websites:
At time of writing (6.11.16) londoncallingarts.com is ranking 'organically' in the top 10 on google.co.uk for the general term “arts marketing” (with the search location set as the UK).
At time of writing (6.11.16) culturecalling.co.uk & londoncallingarts.com are both in the top 5 on google.co.uk for “arts marketing agency” (with the search location set as UK).
R.e. Baseline Search Engine Rankings – the only significant rankings I could find for both sites were (after link building work had begun on the sites on 23.7.15) were 36th for 'arts marketing' and 33rd for 'arts marketing agency' for londoncallingarts.com on google.co.uk.
All search rankings may be personalised to some degree but I tested rankings on 11.11.16 with http://google.com/AdPreview to depersonalise them. The baseline rankings were generated with https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t9QuY5c8bbw79mZ217OgTWAFouyaknHlHMhOiOahIpI/copy?usp=sharing.
7. Content Marketing of Content I Have Written
In 2016 I posted an article from my blog on Twitter and technology news sharing site news.ycombinator.com which proved popular leading to many shares on Twitter and Facebook:
2. Other recent content / shares of content I have created that has been popular on Twitter includes:
See https://uk.linkedin.com/in/emarketinguk for more case studies.